Monday, August 31, 2009

12.0: Saga of the unshaven armpit – skins and feminists

This is a hilarious article (to me, a white, female, short-haired anthropolgist anyway) in the The Thing About Skins column by Gyasi Ross in Indian Country today.

Please go to the link to read the whole thing, because this little excerpt doesn't capture the funniness of the whole thing. It's a commentary on both American Indian families and anthropologists.

At lunch, one Short-Haired White Professor asked me, “Did your family matriarch set an example of strong oral communication?” I wondered, while chewing my free lunch, if they confused “matrilineal” with “matriarchal.” But the food was good and I didn’t want to talk too much, so I just kept it pretty short and honest.

Me: >chew, chew< “Well, mom yells a lot. But that’s just because we didn’t listen. Plus, she’s kinda hard of hearing.”

Short-Haired White Professor 1: >Smiling smugly< “Did you listen to the women figures in your life? And was your upbringing more woman-friendly?”

Me: >realizing that this vegetarian food isn’t half-bad< “Woman-friendly? What’s that? Er, well, mom and my sisters told me what to do. And I listened. I don’t know if that’s what you mean, but yeah. … that happened.” >chew, chew< My sisters could fight – much better than me. And my mom spanked us. So >chew<, I listened >burp<.”

SHWP: >squealing with joy< “Women were the unquestioned leaders in your society then? You simply accepted their authority?”

Me: >wiping crumbs from my face< “My society? Huh? Maybe? I’m really not sure who else could be leaders. There were no men around.”

SHWP: >looking disappointed< “Oh.”

Years later, I had a moment of clarity about the conversation with my Short-Haired White Professors. It happened while I watched the movie “My Big Fat Greek Wedding.” There was a quote: “The man is the head, but the woman is the neck. And she can turn the head any way she wants.”

Repeat:

“The man is the head, but the woman is the neck. And she can turn the head any way she wants.”

Wow. That quote articulated, in a way that I could not, my disagreement with the Short-Haired White Professor’s theory.


Again, go to the link for the whole thing....

No comments: